Born in Toronto, Canada where he grew up, Benjamin studied architecture at Carleton University but eventually discovered and fell in love with fashion photography. Benjamin has lived in Toronto, New York, Los Angeles, Milan, and Paris.
He has worked for magazines the likes of Harper’s BAZAAR, VOGUE, GLAMOUR, ELLE, NUMERO, GRAZIA, STYLE, etc… He has consulted as a Creative Director for worldwide agencies and clients. As a side note, Benjamin is also a Polish Baron.
“Benjamin Kanarek’s photographic style can go from extremely sparse and graphic to storytelling, cinematic and narrative. He is renowned for his innovative mastering of light.”
Benjamin has had the privilege to work with some of the iconic classic supermodels like Kim Alexis, Elle MacPherson, Bitten Knudsen, Brooke Shields, Angie Everhart, Laetitia Firmin-Didot, Kelly Lebrock, Roberta Chirko, Carol Alt, Helena Christensen, Kirsten Owen, Karen Mulder, Adriana Sklenarikova Karembeu, Janice Dickinson and recently with Sasha Luss, Janice Alida, Sabrina Ioffreda, Hanaa Ben Abdesslem, Daniela De Jesus Cosio, Du Juan, Alexandra Richards, Lydia Hearst, Irina Lazareanu, Daisy Lowe, Anaïs Pouliot and Actresses Mischa Barton, James Bond Girl Bérénice Marlohe, Andie MacDowell, Carole Bouquet, Julie Delpy, Vahina Giocante, Joséphine de la Baume, Marie-Ange Casta, Gwei Lun Mei, etc…
Benjamin collaborates with Video and Co-Creative Director, Frédérique Renaut and shares his time between Paris and North America.
- 1989 – « Les Rencontres de la Photographie », Arles.
- 2006 -2008 « La Santa BAC! » in Barcelona in 2006 “Antifashionsystem2”and 2008 “Réveille-toi”.
- 2005 – 2014 « Le Festival International de la Photographie de Mode » in Cannes.
- 2015 – Benjamin Kanarek’s work featured at the « Jean Paul Gaultier » exhibition at Le Grand Palais, Paris.
- 2020 – Benjamin Kanarek’s work featured on permanent display at the Musée Rodin, Paris.
- 2021 – A Bird’s-Eye View of Fashion Photography From Behind the Camera. The two-part exhibition features work from 37 photographers who hail from 16 diﬀerent countries. Combined, the selection spans more than 90 years. Port Washington Public Library. The exhibition came about because Hearst, Nast and Lieberman once had homes in Sands Point, Port Washington. Located less than 30 miles from Manhattan at the tip of the Port Washington peninsula, Sands Point holds other literary lore: It was said to be the inspiration for the “East Egg” setting for F. Scott Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby.”
VOGUE China, VOGUE Mexico, VOGUE Portugal, VOGUE Brazil, VOGUE Paris, VOGUE Italia, Harper’s BAZAAR China, Harper’s BAZAAR en Español, Harper’s BAZAAR Hong Kong, Harper’s BAZAAR Turkey, Harper’s BAZAAR Italia, ELLE Canada, ELLE Québec, ELLE Hong Kong, ELLE Mexico, ELLE Spain, ELLE Vietnam, ELLE Portugal, GLAMOUR Italia, GLAMOUR France, GRAZIA Italy, GRAZIA Russia, GRAZIA Mexico & Latin America, Depeche Mode, Paris Passion, Jardin des Modes, FASHION Magazine, FLARE, Châtelaine, L’OFFICIEL Paris, GLOBE, MADAME FIGARO, NEW YORK TIMES Magazine, Fashion District News, NUMERO Russia, SCMP Post Magazine, STYLE Magazine, W magazine, Spoon, West East, WWD…
Aldo, AB1 TV Network, Bernard Perris, Camaïeu, Chopard, Clinique Make Up, Dayton Hudson (Target), DIM, EDF, Fairweather, Fleur de Weil Fragrance, Fred Galeries Lafayette, Gemey, Holt Renfrew, Le Bon Marché, Le Château, Le Credit Mutuel, Le Nouvel Observateur, Les 4 Temps la Défense, Louis Vuitton, Lux Soap, Macy’s, Nina Ricci, Nordstrom, Nouvelles Galeries, Pirelli, Royalissime Fragrance, Saks Fifth Avenue, Sears, Soja Bio Star, Sport 2000, Swarovski, The Bay, The May Company, Van Cleef & Arpels, Zuhair Murad…